Friday, February 5, 2010

Answered Prayers

So far, it really is looking like 2010 is turning out to be our year. On Wednesday I received a call from Dr. Canady, Emily's neurosurgeon. She wanted to talk to me about how Emily has been doing since the shunt reprogramming. I filled her in on everything. I let her know about Emily's total personality change, about how Emily seems so much more full of life, full of energy, just overall a happier child. I told her about the conversation that I had with Emily's teacher about how Emily is like a different person in class now, too, because she just seems to have so much more energy now. It is like we never really knew how much constant pain she stayed in before. However, despite that, I did explain to her that she is still experiencing headaches. And the headaches are exactly like they were before the reprogramming. They do not last long. Emily still needs to lay down to get rid of them. Once the pressure is relieved, she gets up and seems to be fine. She has had four of them so far in only a week and a half.

After Dr. Canady listened to everything I had to say, she sounded very pleased and even laughed a little bit when talking about Emily's newfound energy and she said that she is very pleased with the direction we are headed. She said that she doesn't see the need for any type of invasive procedures at this time on Emily because it looks as if the reprogramming is working for her. She said that she feels like we need to cancel her surgery for now. The fact that Emily showed such remarkable improvement is a wonderful sign, and even though she is still having headaches, she may still just need a little more adjusting. Dr. Canady said to give Emily one more week to see if everything levels out. If she is still suffering from headaches, then we will bring her back in and she will bump her setting up to 150 (she is at 130 now).

So, our many prayers have been answered and our baby girl has avoided having her 7th brain surgery for now. The relief that we feel right now is overwhelming! And to add to our even better week, Rob received his first paycheck today after starting his new job!!! After going over seven months without a real paycheck, this was HEAVEN!!!!! :)

No comments: