
What an amazing thing it was to see the article on us and on Magic Moments in the Mobile Press Register today. Ever since Ethan and Emily received wishes from Magic Moments, I couldn't help but become involved with such an amazing organization. I became a volunteer with them back in 2008 and helped other children receive their own wishes by helping to grant them. I have worked closely on occasion with the Executive Director, and when it was decided to form a new Regional Board in our area, she approached me and asked me if I would be interested in being on that board. I was honored to say the least.
So, last week I received a phone call because they were going to do a story in the Mobile, AL paper about Magic Moments and wanted to include us in the story because I happen to be a unique board member to Magic Moments. I am the only one that also has special needs children who are also wish recipients. I am able to give a different perspective that the other members can't give because I have lived on the other side and can relate to the parents of the wish children. The reporter called me on the phone last week for the story and then the photographer for the paper came out to our house yesterday to get some shots of Emily's playhouse. I was very surprised today to open the paper and see a fantastic article with some great pictures inside about Magic Moments and about us. The photos in the paper included the kids playing in the house and the four of us standing in front of the house. The online story included the four of us standing inside the playhouse while Rob and I were holding the kids. The photographer was actually up in the loft and looking down on us to get the shot. It was great! What was really fun, was after he had the family shots, he was really finished. The kids decided that they wanted to stay out in the house and play. He asked if he could continue to stay in the house and just get shots of them playing. That is how he got the shot of Emily climbing up on the ladder and Ethan at the table. It was just such a candid shot and so perfectly captured.
I want to take the article and get it framed. This organization means so much to me and to our family. It has brought so much joy to us during our difficult times and I love being able to spread that joy to others. In fact, I was able to talk on the phone today to one of the families that I am working with that leaves on their own Disney World trip in just a few short days. Becoming a part of a child's Magic Moment is one of those things that you will never forget and it makes you realize that this is an organization that you HAVE to be involved with.
Here is the link for the online article. http://blog.al.com/live/2009/12/wishes_for_chronically_ill_chi.html
And here is a photo of the article that was in the paper.






No comments:
Post a Comment