Monday, December 21, 2009

Our Big Debut

Yesterday was the Christmas Cantata service at church. The kids took part in it by playing in the children's hand bell choir and our family was asked to take part by lighting one of the advent candles. Ethan and Emily were so very excited to get to light one of the advent candles. I just prayed that no catastrophe happened when it was our turn and that we didn't knock it over or catch anything on fire, or that I didn't knock down the podium while I was speaking. Ha-ha! It ended up going well. For a little while during the service, I thought we were going to have to leave because Emily's head started to hurt, but she managed to make it. We just had to go over to the snack table immediately following the service and get her something to eat. Sometimes that helps her head.

The kids did an awesome job on the hand bells. We have been working with them in Sunday School and in Terrific Tuesday for quite a while now. My ears have been ringing for weeks and weeks because of it. :) They performed three songs. Nobody fell off of the stage. No kids cried. And there were a couple times when the audience even got a laugh. I'd say it was a successful performance. I had a few people come over to me after the service yesterday and tell me how great all of the kids did so that made me feel good. And now my ears can quit ringing. Emily told me that she was glad that it was over now because now her ears can quit bleeding. No drama from that child, is there?

Emily had a rough week this week regarding her headaches. She had three days in a row where she had bad ones at school. I was even starting to wonder if we were going to be able to make it through the Christmas holiday before we have to go to the hospital. She did get better toward the end of the week and things have leveled out.

On Friday, Ethan and Emily had a fun day at school. They had a Polar Express pajama party all day and had a great time. I went in and spent the day at school with them. They were supposed to walk to the city park for a walking field trip, but it was nasty weather. It was okay and it all worked out, though. I helped out the teachers and went back and forth between Ethan's room and Emily's room. We had a great day!

The kids are counting down the days until Christmas. They can't wait and have been eyeing the gifts under the tree. I love watching the magic of the holiday through the eyes of a child.

No comments: