Sunday, November 23, 2008

Looking Into a Mirror

What happened today during lunch was like looking into a mirror and seeing a miniature version of myself. Okay, we all know that Emily has been called my Mini-Me, and Rob has often called her "Chip" (as in "chip off the 'ol block"), but today just took everything to a new level. Maybe I should give a bit of history first. In the early years of our marriage (oh, who am I kidding, probably the first 10 years or more) Rob and I had ongoing discussions about things because I would always question everything he would tell me. In my defense, this was because he would often ramble on about things he knew NOTHING about and so I would call him out on it. Well, it got to the point in those early years where I would ask him where and when he got his information from. As time passed, I either began trusting him or he started telling the truth (or maybe I just quit caring - LOL), but the questioning stopped. Okay, now fast forward to today's lunch.

We were eating chicken for lunch. As we were eating it, Emily asked what part of the chicken she was eating. I told her it was the leg. Maybe we are a weird family, but the kids always want to discuss what we are eating and what part of the animal it is. Emily started asking about the chicken and if it was a real chicken. I told her it was a real chicken that was once on a farm that was being raised for food. She asked me something about cooking it and I said that the feathers have to be plucked off before it can be cooked. That was the exact moment that she turned into me. She got a serious look on her face and said...

"How would you know? Have you ever been a fry cook?"

Rob and I both almost started choking on our food. That would have been an exact comment/question that I would have said to Rob 10-15 years ago. Rob was basking in the moment and loved the fact that I was getting a dose of my own medicine. The really funny thing about it was that I know that in Emily's mind, she wasn't meaning it to be sarcastic or ugly. It was a true and honest question. She really wanted to know how I knew that the feathers had to be plucked from the chicken. There was no way that I could have given her an answer of "I just know" because that wouldn't have been good enough. I think Emily and I both have a bad reputation for being sarcastic when it is just being inquisitive. :)

No comments: