Saturday, October 10, 2009

Neurosurgeon Update

I had my appointment with the neurosurgeon and I have to say that I didn't get the news that I was expecting. I was expecting to hear that I was going to have to have surgery right away and there wasn't going to be any other option. Of course I was informed of that option, but I am very glad to know that this neurosurgeon is very conservative and doesn't just jump to start cutting unless it is a very last option. He sat down with us and showed us the MRI and took his time to explain to us how and why things are the way they are. And WOW! My neck is very messed up. I was also glad to hear that everything the chiropractor has been telling me for years now has been confirmed by the neurosurgeon and by the MRI films. Well, let me rephrase that. I'm not happy for the "news" itself, but happy that that the chiropractor was giving me correct information all along.

Here is how it all breaks down. If I choose to do surgery, he will go in through my neck and remove the disk that is actually the really bad one that is pressing on my spinal cord and causing all of my pain. He will then put some screws in and fuse together the remaining vertebrae where that disc was. The recovery time is expected to be good and the risk of the surgery is minimal, but as with any surgery, it isn't without risk since it is working around the spinal cord. This doesn't mean that I will be 100% fixed after this because I still will have a couple herniated discs in my neck, and on top of this, I was told that he can tell that by looking at my MRI, genetically speaking, I have really bad discs in my spine and will probably always have problems. I told him that I have already previously had herniated disc on a lower lumbar disc that required several epidurals on several years ago. He informed me that by looking at my MRI, he can tell that I am one that should always be cautious in my activities because I will be prone to injury. I should avoid all high impact sports, roller coasters, etc, and always use caution when it comes to things like heavy lifting, moving, etc.

I was told, though, that if I choose to not do surgery at this time, the other option would be to try some physical therapy and pain management and see if the disc starts to heal itself and shrinks in size. We can repeat the MRI in three months and then go from there. I told him that regarding the pain, I am a pretty tough girl and let's take that issue off the table. I wasn't going to rush into surgery just to relieve pain. What I wanted to know was if my spinal cord was damaged or would it be damaged if I chose to wait. He said that as of right now it has not been damaged. All of my pain is nerve pain. He did some neurological tests on me and tested my reflexes and strength. I have lost a considerable amount of strength in my left arm already and he said that I may or may not get that back. I jokingly laughed and said that was okay, I'm right handed anyway. I don't need that arm. :) It does feel weird, though, not even being able to pick up a gallon of milk. He said that if I decide to try the PT and pain management route, I will have to be VERY cautious with everything that I do because I need to remember that I have a huge fragment pushing against my spinal cord. He told me not to fall down or get knocked down. And DO NOT get in a car accident!!!! Don't look up or down (ha-ha! I thought this one was kind of funny.) He said to try to keep my head in a neutral position as much as possible. And don't lift anything. Basically, don't do anything.

The strange thing is that when I was sitting in the neurosurgeons office and he was talking to us about it, the idea about trying physical therapy and pain management and giving that a shot before going under the knife TOTALLY sounded like the path I should take. I just felt like I should really try every option before being cut on. It wasn't until I got home and started listing out my limitations that I started thinking that maybe the risks of surgery may actually be less than the risks of trying to live with something pressed on my spinal cord.

Regardless, I want one more opinion before I make a final decision. Now, if only I can convince Rob that I'm not an invalid...

No comments: