Sunday, October 11, 2009

Young Wisdom

We started out our day like we typically do on a Sunday. Our kids woke us up at 5:45am because they somehow do not realize that a weekend means that they DO NOT need to wake up so darn early. So when THEY wake up, they also wake up the "house horse" and that means that we ALL must get up! Because once the Marley (a.k.a. the house horse) is awake, we all must be ready to play!!!!!

We went to church this morning and had the best sermon ever. Some might have thought it could have been depressing, but I swear it was like he was talking to me and about my life. It was all about dealing with change in our lives, grief, and things like that. And it was about living in the moment (Carpe Diem) because one thing is certain...there WILL be change. I can't say that I have always lived my life like this, but for the past seven years, I can honestly say that I never let a day go by that isn't valued and cherished. I am well aware that nothing lasts forever and that things can change in a split second and that things can be taken away. I am also fortunate enough to know when we have been blessed and I have witnessed our children defy the odds. Out of everything that I have experienced and learned in my life, the one lesson that is most important to me is... do not put off until tomorrow what I can do today because there is never a guarantee of tomorrow.

Now, on a totally different note, I have to tell a cute story. I was working on the kids memory books for school and filling them in and catching them up to date. There is a place in there to fill in the answer the kids say to the question "what I want to be when I grow up is..." and then "because...". Well, on Emily's book she put something on there about wanting to be a teacher because she might have a lot of kids in her class that she might like. It was cute. When I got to Ethan and asked him he gave me a funny look. His answer was, "I need to be a grown up to decide that." And his reason why was because "I'm too young". I looked at him and thought to myself how wise his must be answer with that kind of answer. He's very right. Most kids would answer by saying a policeman or fireman or teacher (ha-ha), but Ethan knew that he couldn't possibly answer something like that at only 7 years old. :)

No comments: