I'm not sure how many people have heard of the Accelerated Reader (AR) program, but it is where the kids have to read books and then take a test on the book on the computer and they earn points for it. In the lower grades, the books are only worth .5 points each, but as they get into the higher grades, the books are worth many points each and they have to reach certain goals. Well, since Emily started out the year as a reader, I had to really push to get the Kindergartners into the AR program. She started out the year reading on a second grade level and is now reading between a 3rd and 4th grade reading level. Ethan is doing very well, too, and is reading at a first grade level right now. It took an act of Congress to start the program and it ended up with me having to totally volunteer my time to do it for the Kindergartners because they didn't have anybody to sit with them at the computers and help them log in and work with them on teaching them their passwords and the computer program. I agreed to do it and I have been working with seven of the eleven Kindergarten classes for over half of the school year this year and teaching these kids how to use the program and helping them earn their AR points and keeping them motivated to keep reading.
Well, I just found out some amazing news this morning when I was working at the school and it almost made me want to cry. Per ca pita, the Kindergartners have OUT READ the first graders!!!!! And we didn't even start the program until mid-year when the first graders have been doing it much longer. I am just so darn proud of these kids and I know that they will do awesome next year when they start school.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment