Saturday, May 16, 2009

The End is Near

Only one more week of school left! How is that even possible????? My kids are almost finished with their Kindergarten year! I think I want to cry! [deep breath, deep breath] Okay, now that I got that out, I can continue with my update. :)

Last Sunday was Mother's Day and it was honestly just like any other day. The kids were really sweet to me and kept making me little cards throughout the day, and Rob stocked my supply of chocolate up before he had to leave. Rob had to leave early that morning to go out of town. I hadn't blogged about it specifically up until that point, but those close to us already knew about it. Rob was in the process of re-enlisting in the Army. Only this time he was joining the Reserves instead of going Active duty. He had to leave on Sunday to head back up to Montgomery to go to the MEPS station and was there until Monday night. He came home a soldier since he was sworn in on Monday. The kids were so excited and even stayed up late to wait for him. Rob and I got a good laugh because he was like the old man to all of the new recruits that were there. It has been 17 years since he GOT OUT of the Army the last time and the guy he was sharing a hotel room with was only 17 years old. Ha-ha! Well, after Rob got home with his cute little camo backpack filled with goodies, the kids had a fun time going through all of the pamphlets and folders and neat stuff that was in there. While holding up a folder, two bumper stickers fell out. Rob picked one up and then busted out laughing. The stickers say..."I'm the Proud Parent of a Soldier!" Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha!!!!!!! I am so tempted to put one on my car just for the joke factor of it. :)

On Wednesday the kids had a circus program at school. I'm quite amazed at how many little programs they have had this year. In the circus show, Emily was supposed to be a dancing poodle and Ethan was a dancing monkey. The day before the show, Emily was given the job as the "dog trainer" because the little girl who was going it was having a difficult time. When her teacher was telling me about it, she said that she asked Emily if she thought she could do the job as the dog trainer and Emily's chest just puffed out and her eyes just lit up. I was laughing so hard during the show. Emily enjoyed her little power trip as the dog trainer way too much. She was a bossy little thing out there in the middle of that gym with her little "poodles" following her.



Ethan was the cutest dancing monkey. He knew all of his steps and didn't miss a beat. Ethan gets very nervous in front of a crowd and wouldn't smile. Or he has this nervous habit where he chews on his tongue (which drives me insane, by the way!). His teacher was trying to get him to smile, and he just looked so cute out there.



The kids both came home yesterday and were so excited because the Reading Fairy came in their class and they both got pens for having over 10 AR (accelerated reader) points for the year. I am excited about the fact that the school library will be open this summer and the kids will even be allowed to take AR tests on the books they read and they will count toward next school year. I really hope that will keep Ethan motivated this year on his reading. He has finally started getting excited about reading and I want to try to encourage him in any way I can.

Yesterday morning as I was walking through the kitchen, I noticed a notepad laying on the counter. I glanced at it and it brought me a big smile to my face. I don't know when Emily left it there, if it was before school that day or maybe the day before. It is a big circle drawn on the center of a page with an arrow pointing to the circle and the words on the page say "Rite the gosre list rite here". For those that can't read Kindergarten writing, I'll translate. That should say...write the grocery list right here. :)

As I said earlier, there is only one more week of school. The kids have a Kindergarten award show on Wednesday, and their last day of school is on Friday. We leave the very next day to head to Magic Moments Family Camp. We are VERY excited for Family Camp!!!!! Last year was so much fun and we know this year will be, too.

No comments: