The last week has been very busy. Last Thursday the kids went on a field trip to the Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo. They were so excited to go and had been watching the Animal Planet series, about the zoo, The Little Zoo That Could, in their class each day to prepare them for it. We had a perfect day for it, too. The weather was sunny and warm. We all got good and sunburned, just in time for Field Day at school the next day.
Emily woke up Friday morning and proclaimed, "I hate Field Day! They should rename it 'Tiring Day' not Field Day!" Now, mind you, this will be the child's first ever Field Day. She has never seen, or participated in, a Field Day. Luckily her cousin, Avery, had her Field Day the day before and I was able to show her the fun pictures from hers. The kids got their special orange class shirts on (each class, or team, had a different color shirt to wear) and I got them all greased up with sunblock, and off we went.
It was so much fun watching the kids compete in the little competitions. Some kids were just clueless about what to do and some were in it to win it. I think the best part of all was watching the kids that were absolutely clueless play the games with the biggest grins on their faces. I loved every second of it. Ethan and Emily were cracking me up, though, because they knew that it was a race, and when it was their turn, they were serious competitors. Emily had some difficulties with the sack race and had to get help from her teacher to finish the race. The hopping was very difficult for her. And that dreaded tug-o-war was borderline torture for Emily. The second the rope started to pull her forward, she would lose her footing and fall forward and then that was it. She would give up and start crying. Both she and Ethan said their favorite race was the obstacle course. We may have to set up some fun obstacle courses in the back yard this summer for them to have their own little races on. They love doing that kind of stuff. By the time the day was over, we were all covered in sweat and dirt and we were almost falling over from exhaustion.





By the weekend we were saddened to see that our baby kitty (who really isn't a baby anymore) was sick. Jasper just wasn't acting right and by Friday evening it was quite obvious that he was getting worse. By Sunday, he wasn't eating or drinking and he was getting very lethargic. I kept hoping that he would come out of it and I was giving him water every so often through a medicine dropper to keep him hydrated. I was worried that maybe he had gotten into some kind of poison, or worse yet, had been poisoned. By the time I had gotten him an appointment on Monday, he hadn't left his bed in over two days and had not gone to the bathroom or eaten or drank anything other than what I had given him through a medicine dropper. Unfortunately, the only vet appointment I could get was at 3pm. I had the cat in the car with me and had to go straight there after picking up the kids from school. When I told the kids where we were going when I got them, Emily started crying hysterically because she knew this meant that Jasper had not gotten better. The vet informed us that Jasper was running a very high fever and that it was a very good sign because it meant that he had some kind of infection and wouldn't be something like poison or antifreeze or something he ate that would be causing this. More than likely it was from a bite of another animal, although they couldn't find any kind of puncture wound on him. Jasper was hooked up to an IV with some high powered antibiotics and some fluids to rehydrate him. We were able to pick him up tonight and he is almost 100% back to himself, ornery as ever. :)
On a totally unrelated topic, I have to tell this story. It is so funny and shows the stuff we have to deal with all the time with our daughter, the six year old who think she is going on sixteen. Rob and I just got new cell phones. Rob's phone wasn't working right and so we were needing to take it back to the place we got it from to see if they could fix it or give him a new one. The kids asked where we were going and we told them it was to fix Daddy's new phone that didn't work. Emily looked at her daddy and said, "Is it the phone that isn't working right or is it just that you don't know how to work it?" When she said this, I almost started crying because I was laughing so hard. After the initial shock wore off, even Rob got a chuckle out of that one. :) This girl really is going to keep us on our toes.






No comments:
Post a Comment