We woke up this morning and went to the brand new Gulf State Park Pier in Gulf Shores. The original pier was blown away during Hurricane Ivan and they have finally replaced it. It is such a nice pier. We decided to try it out and go fishing. The kids were so excited to be going fishing. It was the first thing Ethan said when he woke up early this morning. Not long after we got there, Emily started getting a headache. She needed to lay down. I used our bag for a pillow and then put her on one of the benches of the pier. She was passed out for well over an hour. In the meantime, Ethan and his daddy kept fishing while I acted as a human umbrella for Emily and blocked the sun off of her while she slept. Once she woke up, she was feeling great and was ready to play. The kids had the best time playing with the bait fish. Despite Emily's headache, we all had a great time.
I hope we can finally get some answers about Emily's headaches on Tuesday. We see the neurosurgeon at 9:30 in the morning. I'm pretty certain that Emily will have to have her shunt tapped. To do this, they stick a needle in the back of her head and try to draw off fluid from her shunt. She HATES this and so do I!!!! I don't see how we can avoid this test, though, and I am scared to death to hear the results. She is just having way too many headaches for her shunt to be working properly. I have a very bad feeling about what is needed.
And on top of everything else going on, Ethan and Emily's school has confirmed cases of Swine Flu in it. I knew it would happen eventually, but I really hoped it wouldn't be until closer to the time when the vaccine was available. I have preached to the kids over and over about washing hands. I am praying very hard that we are able to miss getting this. But considering our luck, I just think it will be a matter of time before it is in our house. And because of this, I have tried to take as many precautions as I can. I went ahead and filled prescriptions of Tamiflu for the kids. And I'm glad that I did, too, because the pharmacy is running very low on their supply. Because of Ethan and Emily's medical conditions, this is a medication that they will absolutely need should they come down with this horrible virus. At least I know that I will have it on hand.
On a positive note, Ethan told me that he can already tell a difference with his new breathing medicine. Even though he wasn't symptomatic before, we know that he always has some level of inflammation in his lungs. He said that he can tell that it is much easier to breathe now. That is a relief to hear!!
So, tomorrow starts a new week of school. This week can either go really well or really horrible depending on the news we find out on Tuesday. Once again, we could use some prayers.
Here are some pictures from our fishing trip today.






No comments:
Post a Comment