Thursday, August 6, 2009

Meet the Teacher

Tonight was meet the teacher at school. Ethan and Emily have been counting down to this day forever. Even today they were counting down the hours. They are both so excited for school to start on Monday. They have GREAT teachers this year. Emily will be in Ms. Watson's class and Ethan is in Ms. L's class. Their classrooms are right across the hall from each other and they will get to see each throughout the day because the classes will mingle with each other on occasion. Emily even asked me if there was any way to make the days go by faster. :)

Ethan and Emily's 504 plans aren't totally in place yet, but they will be soon. Emily still has headaches at times, even after her surgeries this summer, and I wonder how this will affect her daily activities in class. I did let Ethan's teacher know about his sudden asthma attacks that he has. I told her that they usually start with coughing, and it is not uncommon for him to drop his oxygen level quickly. Aside from just protecting him if he misses too many days, and letting the teacher know how his asthma attacks start, I don't want Ethan to be limited on anything else in school. I still want him to have to participate in P.E. and any other activities that are going on. And it is the same thing for Emily except allowing her to lay down if she complains of a headache.

Now that I got the "business" side of things out of the way, I have a couple of funny comments from the kids. The other night Emily told me that "even though she knows he doesn't have it, Ethan acts like he has that disease where people are afraid to go outside" (agoraphobia). She told me that he acts like that because of the bees and wasps. Ha-ha!!! And tonight when I told Ethan to get something out of the laundry room, he said, "Uuuuuggggghhhhh! I can't!!!!! I have sensory issues with cat litter!!!!!" Oh my goodness! I would expect this kind of comment from Emily, but never from Ethan. It just totally cracked me up!!!

No comments: