Is it another Christmas miracle???? That is what I am thinking Ethan's sudden improvement is. Last night we attempted to go to the Christmas Eve service at church. During the service, Ethan really started to struggle. His breathing was becoming more labored and shallow and we had to leave to get him home to get a breathing treatment. His sats were still in the mid 80's range. Things were still just not improving and I felt like we had no choice but to take him on to the hospital. I had spent the past two days stressed out beyond belief, in constant tears, and so frustrated and scared because it seems like Ethan is always having to struggle to breathe. I know that under normal circumstances our pediatrician would have put Ethan in the hospital, and I know that the only reason why he didn't is because of Christmas and that he knows that we aren't new to this and that we have all of the equipment at home to handle it with the exception of oxygen. Although Ethan's sats have been low, his color has remained good, and he hasn't struggled enough to cause retracting while breathing. Had either of those things happened, we would have been in the hospital immediately. I have to say, though, last night I thought we were at that point. When we came home from church, I told Rob that I didn't know if he'd make it until morning without us taking him in. And I thought for sure that we'd be taking him in as soon as presents were opened this morning.
Needless to say, that didn't happen. I continued to give Ethan breathing treatments through the night and by morning his sats were actually up. They were still in the 80's , but they were at 88 and 89!!!!!! And a couple times today they even got up to 90! I think the worst is over!
Now for talk of our Christmas celebration. Every year on Christmas Eve we take a family photo in front of our tree. This is our picture this year. It's the best we can do considering I haven't slept in two nights and have been stressed to the max and of course Ethan was feeling horrible. .jpg)
Needless to say, that didn't happen. I continued to give Ethan breathing treatments through the night and by morning his sats were actually up. They were still in the 80's , but they were at 88 and 89!!!!!! And a couple times today they even got up to 90! I think the worst is over!
Now for talk of our Christmas celebration. Every year on Christmas Eve we take a family photo in front of our tree. This is our picture this year. It's the best we can do considering I haven't slept in two nights and have been stressed to the max and of course Ethan was feeling horrible.
.jpg)
Last night before bed we sprinkled the reindeer food in the yard that they brought home from school and set out the Santa keys, one by the front door and one by the back door. The kids set out milk and cookies for Santa and then went to bed. They decided to have a sleepover in Ethan's room. It has become a ritual every Christmas to have a sleepover in one of their bedrooms on Christmas Eve so they can both wake up together. They have always done this. I got smart this year, though. I took my clock off of my nightstand and put it in the bedroom with them. I told them that they were not allowed to come out of the room before 6am and they had a clock with them to check the time so there were no excuses. I had also set back up the old baby monitor in the room since Ethan had been sick so I could listen to him breathe so I was able to listen to them talk in the morning, too. It was so cute when they woke up and started talking about how they wondered if Santa had come yet. They got so excited to see the presents and of course we had a very busy morning. Ethan loved the workbench that Rob made for him and Emily could not believe that Santa got her the exact guitar that she had asked for. That was VERY cute to see how excited she got. Ethan loved his Moon Shoes from Santa and wore them around the house half the day. We cracked up watching him walk around the house in those things.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Here is a video clip of Emily rockin out to her Hannah Montana guitar while she is dressed in her Hannah Montana costume. Too bad we have to hear Ethan and Rob in the background. :)
Our Christmas turned out to be a good one today. I really believed we'd be spending it in the hospital, but it looks like we narrowly avoided it this time. Christmas has now come and gone and we can look forward to the new year.






No comments:
Post a Comment