Wednesday, December 24, 2008

He's so very sick!

It's bad! Very bad! Ethan probably should have been in the hospital last night. His sats dropped down to the very low 80's and stayed there. I sat with him during the night and would wake him up to sit up, I would pat his back and make him cough, and it would help improve his oxygen just a little bit. It was a very long night. I was right on the point of breaking all night because these poor kids have just been through enough. They don't need their Christmas ruined by Ethan being in the hospital!!!! I was running it all through my mind on how we would handle it all and still try to make it work and be special.

It is now 8am and his sats are around 86 and 87. He is on Orapred, two antibiotics, Pulmicort and Xopenex (via nebulizer), and Motrin and Tylenol for the fever. We are praying that he turns the corner very soon. We will be just taking it hour by hour and will go to the hospital if he really starts struggling (like retracting when trying to breathe) or if his fever spikes or if he becomes lethargic. The thing with Ethan is that even when he is sick like this, he is still up and playing and moving around, he just has to stop to catch his breath pretty often.

Ethan knows how sick he is and how close he is to going to the hospital. I told him that we are doing everything we can to just get through tonight, but he understands that we might have to go and that if we do then we will just celebrate Christmas a different way.

1 comment:

Sarah K said...

Oh Kristine - big hugs coming for you and Ethan. He's in our prayers.