Ethan and Emily are a couple of commercial addicts. They need some kind of serious support group and thank goodness they don't give credit cards to kids their age or there is no telling what all they'd end up ordering from commercials and infomercials.
We were playing another game of Clue Jr. this evening (probably our 1,000th time to play since Christmas Day) and the kids both suddenly stopped me in mid-roll of the die. I didn't know what was happening, but they were both going crazy for me to turn around and look at the tv. All it was was a commercial for a purse, or so I thought. The kids started saying things like "you've got to watch this" and "look what all this thing will hold". When I said something about it being a purse, I was quickly corrected. It isn't a purse. It is a Buxton Bag and it is only $19.95. I just sat there looking at these two six year old strangers in my living room. Do they really watch this much tv that they know and can recite these commercials to me? Emily even went so far as to tell me that my regular purse can be stolen from a restaurant, but if I had a Buxton Bag, it wouldn't get stolen because I could just wear it over my shoulder at all times. I couldn't believe how excited they were getting about this darn purse thing.
It was only about 30 minutes later that Ethan came running in and told me that I just HAVE to get a Snuggie Blanket. He was giving me his sales pitch and reciting lines from the commercial like "the next time I am at a sporting event, I can stay nice and warm in a Snuggie." I just looked at him and busted out laughing. He got all serious and said that there really is a thing called a Snuggie and that he just bets that I'd like it.
Listening to the kids talk about their commercial tonight reminded me about a conversation that I overheard between the two of them the other day. They saw an ad for something that was their age, but at the end of the commercial there was the disclaimer that said you must be 18 or older to order. I overheard the kids discussing with each other how they think that it is so unfair that everything has to be 18 or older to order anything. I chuckled to myself and then walked in and explained that they say that because you have to be that old to have a credit card and you can't order anything without a credit card. Thank goodness they don't have a credit card or they'd be buying everything they saw on tv!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment