Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Crazy Plan

The kids had a very fun filled weekend with their cousins, Chase and Avery. We had a house full of children most of the weekend and that meant lots of fun, mischief, and even a few minor injuries. Avery, my very sweet, yet tough, seven year old sweetie, barely flenched when she got a thorn stuck in her foot that I had to pull out. My own son, however, probably had the neighbors calling the department of human resources on me when I had to get a splinter out of his hand. Now in his defense, it was pretty deep, but...OH...MY...GOODESS!!!! My ears are STILL ringing from the screams. Oh, and I should mention that the windows in our house were open so I can really imagine what the neighbors thought. Ha-ha! And I think the last injury was to Emily's finger. She got it slammed in her playhouse door and made the skin peel back a little bit. At first Chase was pretty upset thinking that he was always the cause of the injuries since he was the one that slammed Emily's finger in the door, but I told him that accidents just happen. I did sit the kids down and tried to talk to them about thinking about what they are doing and how it might impact the other person. The other day Avery whacked Ethan across the hand with a golf club and then there is the time that his finger got sprained and we thought it was broken. I told them that I know that they don't mean to hurt each other, but they might want to not play so rough and just think about what they are doing. And poor Chase is involved in many of the accidents and so I pointed out her big bruised ear to him. I said, "See, you weren't even in this state when that one happened!" That is when Ethan threw open the car door and slammed it against the side of Emily's head and her ear turned black from the bruising. It was horrible, but thankfully it is healing and not hurting her anymore. Overall, I think we did pretty good this weekend only having a thorn, a splinter, and one smashed finger. :)

One thing that always happens when we have these planned slumber parties is that poor Emily just passes out way too soon. That poor girl just can't hang out and party like the rest of them. She is out cold by 8pm. By about 8:15 I heard Avery telling the boys that she was hanging out with them all night. It was also around that time that I overheard the kids talking about this silly plan that they were cooking up. Well, it was a plan that the two boys were cooking up together. I heard them talking and saying that they wanted to set the alarm clock to wake up at 3am. I walked in there and said that there was no way on God's green earth that they were going to set the alarm to wake up at 3am. There was just no reason for it. I didn't really think much more about it until I was tucking Ethan into bed tonight. As I was laying there with him, I glanced up at his clock and noticed that the clock read 3:38am (it was 8:35pm). I asked Ethan why in the world his clock would be saying that it was 3:38am. He said, "Oh, Chase was trying to set the alarm last night, but he couldn't figure out how to do it." I asked Ethan just what he and his cousin thought they were going to do if they woke up at 3am. He said, "We were going to get up and make ourselves some breakfast and watch tv and play." OH MY GOSH! Thank goodness that plan was thwarted by Chase not figuring out that alarm clock. Just what were those boys thinking?!?! I'm ready for the week to start so I can rest.

No comments: