Monday, March 2, 2009

More about PE dancing

After spending the weekend being very upset about the information I learned from my six year old about her having to sit out during the dancing in PE, I decided to have another talk with her about it. I have had time to really think about this incident and I just feel like I wasn't getting all of the story. The reason is that I know Emily well enough to know that if there really was some kind of injustice done (like her getting reprimanded about her shoes), I think I would have heard about it. The fact that I never heard about this incident tells me that I didn't get the full story. And that led me to question Emily further this morning while I was fixing her hair before school. I started by telling her that I would like to know about the days when she is asked to sit out of PE for any reason. I told her that there may be a way for her to not have to sit out, but to maybe do the activity on the side. I asked her if when the kids were dancing, were they being wild and crazy and bumping into each other. Maybe that was the reason Emily couldn't participate and I could understand that, but maybe there could be a way where she could still do the dance, but along the side where there weren't any other children. Well, THAT is when she shared with me the entire story. She said that that is what they do for her when they are in the gym. The day that she had to sit out is the day when they were doing the dance outside on the rocks and they were afraid she would fall down because it was on the rocks. OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! I have almost made myself sick this entire weekend being upset about this and NOW I find out the whole story. I am very relieved and it all makes sense now. I think the thing that was bothering me the most is the thought that Emily wouldn't say something to me if something like that would be done to her that would be so unfair. I am very happy now to find out the truth.

No comments: