Thursday, January 8, 2009

Feeling Nostalgic

Ethan and Emily both go to sleep listening to music each night. Ethan decided that he wanted to change out his CD tonight and he went digging through some of his old ones. He picked out an old Kindermusik CD that was back from when he and Emily used to go to Kindermusik classes when they were very little.

As we do each night, I was laying with Ethan on his bed and we were talking about his day and the music was playing in the background. He started listening to the music and asking me questions about it and about when he and Emily used to go to music class. That is when it hit me, and it hit me really hard! Ethan doesn't (and maybe Emily doesn't either) remember a single moment of those years in music class while I remember it like it was yesterday. Oh how I wish they could still have memories of those wonderful times we shared together. We started Kindermusik when they were around six months old and did it until they were three years old. Their therapists from Early Intervention even met us there and often did their therapy at music class.

So, Ethan and I listened to his CD and he asked me questions and I told him stories about what kinds of things we used to do during each song. He and I both just laughed, and I just wanted to cry. Oh how I miss those days sometimes. The years have gone by so fast. I'm afraid to blink because I know they will grow up just that much more. Even though it has gone by fast, there is one thing that I can say with absolute certainty. I have never taken a moment for granted. After struggling with over 8 years of infertility just to get these kids, and then to have them fighting for their lives because of being born too soon... I have never let a moment go by that I didn't appreciate. Of course, that doesn't change the fact that it is still going by too fast. Too bad I can't just decide to have another one, darn that infertility. :) But then again, would I really want more backtalking in the house????

No comments: