Most of our really deep conversations always seem to take place in the car. We were driving to a birthday party yesterday party and it was raining outside. We had about a 30-40 minute drive and so it gave us a while to talk. The kids were talking about how they didn't like rain and how they wished that it never rained. I told them that even though we didn't like rain, it was very important for the Earth. This started a pretty long conversation about rivers and lakes, water that we drink, and also how everything we consume depends on water. They were really getting into the conversation, too.
Well, this topic then led to the topic of God creating the Earth. Ethan, who has always been my solar system guru, asked me if God created the solar system. I started kind of finding myself now getting a little nervous about where these questions could lead because I might get in over my head here. I did not want a debate now of science versus church. Well, thankfully Emily had the answer that Ethan needed. She said, "Ethan, of course God created the solar system. Don't you remember? The Bible that God created the Heavens and the Earth and that God created light. That light has to be the sun, and the sun is the center of our solar system." Ethan said, "You're right, Emily, God DID create our solar system!"
Phew! Thank goodness Emily took care of that one. I guess I need to get back to Sunday School myself so I can be prepared to answer more questions. Either that, or I need to start avoiding long car rides. :)
I also want to take a moment to ask for some much needed prayers for Rob's grandfather who is battling cancer. He is in the hospital right now. I sat the kids down the other day and told them that he was in the hospital. Emily, who is so intuitive about things, asked me if she and Ethan made him sick while they were with him on Thanksgiving. The look that was in her eye broke my heart. I think she must have overheard a conversation between Rob and his grandmother talking about while his grandpa is undergoing chemo, he'll have to be careful being exposed to germs and being around all the grandkids (who bring home everything from school). Well, Emily must have heard this at some point and then thought that she and Ethan made Grandpa sick while they were with him at Thanksgiving. I explained to Emily that there was no way that she and Ethan could have made him sick. The kind of sickness he has isn't something the caught from somebody else. He's in the hospital right now because his body isn't working right. After this conversation, Rob and I decided that evening to let the kids know that Grandpa was sick BEFORE we went over there for Thanksgiving just so they don't ever think it was because of them. We explained that the reason we made those last minute plans to go to Texas then was because we found out that he was sick and was about to start treatments to try to make him better. I suggested that maybe since he is in the hospital right now we could make some cards to send to him. Ethan jumped up and said that he was going to make a big heart with a smiley face in the middle and he was going to write "I love you, Grandpa" on it. Right now, Grandpa could use all the smiley faces he could get along with lots of prayers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment