Our life is back to normal after being in the hospital. The kids are fighting...err, I mean playing, and all is fine. Ethan's attitude is back to normal, too. Thank goodness!!! I wasn't used to my sweet boy being so mean to me. He does have a follow-up appointment with the pediatrician today just to make sure that everything is okay.
Last night while I was washing Emily's hair, she was very insistent that I not allow any water to drip on her knees that she was holding out of the water. She said that they hurt when they got wet. I looked at them and said that they did look like they were a little bit red, like they were chapped. She looked at me and said, "Yeah, my skin gets that way because you don't put moisture in the air." What????? I just looked at her for a second and then said, "What are you talking about?" She again told me that her knees are chapped because I have not put moisture in the air. Just to see if she knew what she was talking about, I asked her, "And how do you propose I do that?" She said, "You know, put that box thing out that puts steam in the air." Okay, I knew she was talking about a vaporizer and I knew she must have heard it from somewhere. My guess would be her nana. So I asked her who told her about putting steam in the air, and she told me that her nana did. So, Thanks Mom. My daughter has basically told me that I'm a bad mom for allowing her skin to get chapped because I have not put moisture in the air. :)
Today is the 100th day of school and they are having a lot of fun activities planned for them. They had to take 100 item to school to decorate 100 Day hats and a display for the hall. They both counted out 100 pieces of cereal to take. Ethan took Apple Jacks and Emily took Cheerios. The classes are also building a community of caring and each class is going to work together to do 100 acts of kindness. Also, if the kids do an act of kindness at home, we are supposed to let their teacher know so they can color a square. Ethan was so funny. The kids had DESTROYED the house yesterday morning and made a HUGE mess. After I threw a fit about them doing it and needing to clean it, he started cleaning up his room, making his bed, putting his toys away, etc. When he was finished, he was telling me about how he did all of these acts of kindness by cleaning up. I told him that it didn't count as acts of kindness when he was doing chores that he was supposed to be doing anyway. An act of kindness was doing something for somebody else that was unexpected and helpful to them. We later went to Grandma's house and then the kids understood. They started helping Grandma out and holding the door open for her and carrying her purse for her and helping me clean up her house. And one of the biggest acts of kindness was when Ethan shared his candy with Emily. Grandma had given them each a few dollars to spend. Ethan had bought a toy and some candy with his money. Emily chose to spend all of hers on a toy instead of splitting it up on a cheaper toy and candy, too. Ethan was nice enough to share his candy with his sister. That definitely deserved a note to the teacher for an act of kindness. Emily would have never shared her candy with him if the situation would have been reversed. ;)
And the funniest story of all is about the note that the teacher sent home explaining all of the 100 day festivities. I didn't see Emily's backpack for a few days because of Ethan being in the hospital. I knew that they were going to have something coming up, though, so I asked Emily to look in her folder to see if there was anything about special homework. I had no idea what was in her folder. There was a note in there to the parents. It began..."Dear Parents,..." and went on to talk about the week. There was one part on the note that said "On Friday, Zero the Hero will be visiting our school! Shhhh!!! Please don't tell your child! This is a surprise!" Well, Emily read the entire note and when she got to the part about Zero the Hero, she got so excited and said, "I LOVE Zero the Hero!!!" She continued to read on and then got to the part where it said not to tell your child and that it was a surprise. She slammed that folder shut and her eyes got as big as saucers. She had this look of pure terror on her face. I just laughed so hard!!!! She begged me not to tell her teacher that she read he note. I told her that her teacher would just be proud that she was reading so well that she could even READ the note. And then I told her that that should teach her a lesson about not reading mail that isn't addressed to her. :)
Of course today is also the presidential inauguration day. The kids were talking about it this morning. They even got out their presidential map thing we have and they were talking about how Obama is the 44th president and they were talking about some of the former presidents. They were having this pretty in depth conversation about how long ago some of the presidents were, about which ones were related, they were naming them, etc. It was really exciting to see two six year olds so interested in the presidents. I don't think I even knew what a president was when I was six years old. It's just amazing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment