Monday, February 16, 2009

Back from the doctor

Well, we don't know what it is, but we know what it is not. It is NOT the flu. It is NOT strep throat. It is NOT an ear infection. Here is the strange thing. When the doctor listened to Ethan, he looked at me and said, "Ethan's lungs sound HORRIBLE!" I agreed with him and told him that I know, but that his sats are staying better than ever. I just don't understand it! He said his lungs sound all crackly sounding and Ethan has a horrible sounding cough and so does Emily. He went and got his big sat monitor and came in and gave me this unbelievable look and said his sats are 98!!!!! He just looked shocked!!! I told him that I have sat with him several times and taken his sats thinking I'll be needing to give him a breathing treatment and he'll be near perfect. It just doesn't make sense. Yet, he'll be running a very high fever and coughing his head off and screaming in misery about his muscle aches, but the kid has good oxygen. In the pediatrician's office, Emily actually had a higher fever while we were there and had more snot and stuff in her nose so she was the lucky one that got the nose swab for the flu test. When the doctor came back in he said, "I have good news and bad news. The good news is that it isn't the flu. And the bad news is that it isn't the flu." He told me that he was really thinking that the kids both had the flu because of their symptoms. He said that this is a really long time to be having a fever. Another concern, especially with Ethan's history, is walking pneumonia. Ethan especially is showing many of the symptoms of walking pneumonia (except that his sats have been so good). He has very swollen glands, a very bad cough, prolonged fever, decreased activity, diarrhea, and lots of crackling when he breathes. Our doctor is not going to send us over for chest x-rays right now. He said that we have spent way too much time getting x-rays as it is and he is treating both of the kids with the same antibiotics that he would if it was walking pneumonia anyway. He is just a little baffled on what this could be causing a fever this long. Now that I am giving them antibiotics, he said to bring them back in if the fever is still there after two days. The kids will still not be able to go to school tomorrow because they are not fever free. At least I got an excuse from the doctor's office for the school. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will start feeling better tomorrow since they are on antibiotics now.

1 comment:

My name is Lauren said...

It's so hard when we don't know what's wrong. I really hope they are feeling better soon. This seems to be the worst cold season I can remember. Everyone is super sick! Hang in there.