Wednesday, June 10, 2009

VBS

Today was a pretty good day for Emily overall. She woke up feeling pretty good and said that she wanted to go to VBS. The first thing we did this morning was sit down and work on her hair. I had a long talk with her and I explained to her that we needed to work on getting the mats out of her hair now. The longer we waited to get them out, the worse it would be. I told her that she worked too hard to have them shave less hair off this time and it would be a shame if we had to cut the good hair off because it got too matted up. She looked at me and took a deep breath and said, "OK. Let's do it." Now this just goes to show how darn brave she is and how much gumption she has. So, I gathered my supplies of a hair pick, a brush, a comb, rubber bands, and detangler spray. Emily gently laid her head on a pillow on the floor and I began the tedious job of picking my way through the knots in her hair. Ethan, who can't stand to see or hear his sister in any kind of pain whatsoever, quickly ran off into his bedroom and shut the door. He stayed in there until we were finished. When the knots were all out, I told Emily how proud I was of her for being so brave and letting me do that. She thanked me for getting them out and then hugged me and told me she loved me.

I was very happy to see how much fun the kids had at VBS. Ethan had fun showing Emily around. Emily was EXTREMELY mad at me when I wouldn't let her participate in the outdoor activity they were doing, but she just had to get over it. It was too hot. She hasn't been drinking enough fluids anyway and is near dehydration. Plus, they were using water guns, and we couldn't risk getting her dressing over her incision wet. She did end up getting over it and it was okay.


By the time we left VBS, Emily was starting to feel a little nauseous. It was time to go lay down and rest for a bit. We went to Grandma's house and she rested over there while I did some stuff for Grandma. Later we headed down to Gulf Shores to go see Aunt Debbie and Chase for a few minutes before she had to take Chase back to his Dad's.


I'll admit that I have been a little concerned about Emily's incision on her head. She is extra sensitive with this one, moreso than she was with any of the other ones. I have also been concerned about the fact that Emily hasn't been wanting to eat or drink anything. Her pediatrician's office called me today to check on her after surgery and I told the nurse that I was glad that they had called because I was concerned about Emily still not wanting to eat or drink anything. Actually, I have been having to almost force feed water down her just to keep her from getting dehydrated. Our pediatrician actually called me back and we talked for quite a while. He thinks that Emily is just having difficulty from the anesthesia still and to give her a couple days. He said that it is possible that they used a bigger tube when they intubated her and it just really irritated her throat. He said to give it until Friday and see if she is better.

Despite the eating and drinking issues, and the sensitivity with the incision, Emily is really doing fantastic. We are going to VBS again tomorrow.

No comments: