Tuesday, June 9, 2009

We are home!!!








We are home and it feels so good to have this behind us!!!!! Emily really had a good night last night. She only got up to go to the bathroom and needed just minimal pain medicine. The doctor came in this morning and said that she could go home. Emily isn't showing any signs of fever which means that there isn't any sign of infection right now. The incision site has stopped bleeding, and she didn't have any kind of hemorrhaging during surgery so she is good to go. We will go back next Tuesday to have the stitches out.

The car ride home was a little hard on her because of the jarring, but I put her blanket behind her head and that helped her. Once we were home, she really didn't want to lay on the couch. We were able to surprise Ethan and pick him up at Vacation Bible School. Emily was so glad that we got to do that. Ethan was very happy to see her, too.

Emily has moments where she winces in pain, but overall she is doing very well. This girl doesn't stay down for long. I can't help but think about when she was first born. I will never forget that moment when we were told about that massive brain hemorrhage she had. They told us that she would possibly never walk or talk and would probably have severe physical or mental disabilities, or both. The part of her brain that was damaged from the brain bleed was the part that controls gross motor skills and speech. I can remember looking at that tiny baby that she was and thinking that there was no way that those doctors knew what they were talking about. I looked at her and saw the tiniest fighter there was. I was determined to prove them wrong and I knew that SHE would prove them wrong, too. And I look at her now and I see that she is still fighting with everything she has. And one thing is definitely for certain, nothing has affected her mental abilities. As far as I'm concerned, she and Ethan are BOTH little geniuses. :) Whether she is the tiny baby, a two year old toddler, a five year old, or a six and a half year old, she will always be a fighter and will continue to defy the odds.

1 comment:

My name is Lauren said...

She IS a fighter. I am sooooo happy to see your post and to see that beautiful smiling face of her's. :)